Being a traditionalist, I decided to stick to the good old fashioned method of controlling the locomotives using a variable DC voltage. Somehow the Digital option hasn’t convinced me to make the outlay. Therefore, each of the rail lengths was electrically powered by soldering a wire on to the underneath of the rail, making a hole in the baseboard corresponding to the position of the wire. The intention was that the wire disappeared once the ballast was down and a good electrical contact was assured. This also allowed me to isolate any section I wanted.
After initially using a Gaugemaster power unit, I found a circuit diagram for a power supply unit with a walk round unit, this was built and works very well.
I was interested in replicating every aspect of operating a railway, so the control of the points and signals was done via switches laid out as if they were in a signal box. Red switches for Signals, Black for points and Blue for the interlock. The signals are controlled by momentary miniature toggle switches operating on the AC solenoids. The points are controlled by miniature toggle switches to set the 12v dc to drive the point motor. The switch controlling the facing point on the station limits is protected by and electrical interlock controlled by the blue toggle switch so the point switch can’t be thrown without setting the interlock switch first.